Urban informality & inequality – a call for global climate justice | #COP26
The event, organised by the Commonwealth Local Government Forum (CLGF), in partnership with Cities Alliance and UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), will bring together international speakers and audience members from local and city governments; central governments; research communities; and civil society to discuss climate justice and the importance of taking account of the cumulative risks created by conditions of urban informality, inequality and climate vulnerability in developing effective responses to climate change. We will identify priorities for action and the role that researchers, civil society actors, city governments and policy makers can play in strengthening local action for sustainable climate justice.
• Yvonne Aki-Sawyerr, Mayor, Freetown, Sierra Leone
• Joanes Atela, Convener Africa Research and Impact Network, Director Partnerships African Centre for Technology Studies, Kenya
• Harriet Bulkeley, Professor of Geography, Durham University, UK.
• Vanesa Castan Broto, Professor of Climate Urbanism, University of Sheffield, UK
• Sonia Dias, Waste Specialist, WIEGO, Brazil
• David Dodman, Director, Human Settlements, International Institute for Environment and Development, UK
• Aníbal Gaviria, Governor of Antioquia, Colombia and President of Cities Alliance
• Heike Henn, Deputy Director General, Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, Germany
• Rubbina Karruna, Regional Cities & Infrastructure Adviser, Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, UK
• Rose Molokoane, Vice-President Slum Dwellers International, South Africa
• Greg Munro, Director, Cities Alliance (Chair)
• Aromar Revi, Director, Indian Institute for Human Settlements, India
• Emilia Saiz, Secretary General, UCLG on behalf of the Global Taskforce of Local and Regional Governments
The event will be held concurrently in person and online, with an interactive panel discussion. It will offer an opportunity to help shape critical policy and research priorities for addressing climate change equitably in cities – where informality and inequality are the reality. The event will help shape priorities for research and local action to ensure better chances of achieving urban climate justice.
Event Organiser: Commonwealth Local Government Forum (CLGF)
The COP26 summit will bring parties together to accelerate action towards the goals of the Paris Agreement and the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.
Head to the COP26 website: https://ukcop26.org/
Follow COP26 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/COP26
Follow COP26 on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cop26uk/
Follow COP26 on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/cop26uk
#COP26 #ClimateChange #Climate – Tower Base North