Faba Bean Disease Management. Joshua Fanning, Agriculture Victoria & James Manson, SFS
The main foliar diseases affecting faba beans in Victoria include cercospora leaf spot, ascochyta blight and chocolate spot. These diseases can be controlled using an Integrated Disease Management (IDM) strategy, which involves:
• Having a plan,
• Rotating crops to reduce faba bean stubble residues,
• Utilising varieties with improved resistance,
• Understanding the effect of season and location on disease risk,
• Timely fungicide applications, and
• Appropriate rotation of fungicides to reduce fungicide resistance.