Density Matters, So Let's Make Every City a 5-Minute City (Not 15)
Get Nebula using my link for 40% off an annual subscription: https://go.nebula.tv/citynerd
Watch the Nebula exclusive, Great Cities: Central Park: https://nebula.tv/videos/citybeautiful-the-brilliant-design-of-new-yorks-central-park?ref=citynerd
If you’re anything like me, you’re already tired of how the “15-minute city” idea has been co-opted into the culture wars. It’s really this simple: all things being equal, having more stuff that you need and want on a day-to-day basis within a reasonable walking distance is better than not having it. I suppose whatever argument there is is over what “all things being equal” consists of.
Today I take you on a tour of Valencia, Spain, and talk about how Valencians enjoy something more like a 5-minute city, probably without thinking about it (or even considering it argument-worthy) at all. Hope you enjoy!
CityNerd is now available on Nebula — streaming ad-free, along with lots of other great creators! Discount for signing up at my channel:
Patreon – a way to directly support continuing CityNerd output! Thanks to all who have signed up so far.
Previous CityNerd Videos Referenced:
– Pickup Truck Madness: https://youtu.be/aIy5uv5-VrE
– Adam Something on US vs European suburbs: https://youtu.be/mV6ZENGko1I
– Not Just Bikes on why suburbs are a scam: https://youtu.be/7IsMeKl-Sv0
– Climate Town on suburban housing sucking: https://youtu.be/SfsCniN7Nsc
– Special thanks to Patrons Calvin, Conderoga, and Isaac for the NY trash pics!
– US Flag Public Domain, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=33285428
– Spain Flag By RelShot 263, Echando una mano – Own work, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=99805564
– Falles tweet by Valencia mayor Joan Ribo https://twitter.com/joanribo/status/1632011693055266816?s=43&t=aaWm_OO5NIelsnd8FRPr4Q
CityNerd background: Caipirinha in Hawaii by Carmen María and Edu Espinal (YouTube music library)
Business Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org