Dal Makhani Recipe | Restaurant Style Recipe | दाल मख्नी होटल जैसी | Chef Sanjyot Keer
Full written recipe for Restaurant Style Dal Makhani Recipe
Sabut urad dal 250 grams (whoe black gram lentil)
Water to rinse & soak
Water to cook – 4-5 litres + as required
For the tadka:
Desi Ghee – 4tbsp
Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
Deghi/ kashmiri red chilli powder – 3 tbsp
Fresh tomato puree – 500 grams
Salt to taste
White butter – 4 tbsp
A pinch of homemade garam masala (optional)
Toasted kasuri methi – 1/2 tsp
White butter – 3 tbsp
Fresh cream – 1/2 cup
• Wash & rinse the dal really well. You will have to scrub the dal between your palms so that all the impurities are discarded & also the dal will slightly loose its color. You will have to wash the dal for 3-4 times, I washed it for 3 times.
• Once the dal is washed & the water is clear, add enough water to soak & soak the dal for a minimum of 4-5 hours or overnight.
• Once the dal is soaked, drain the excess water & now add the dal into a large vessel.
• Add enough wate & bring the water to a boil.
• Now lower the flame & cook the dal for 60-90 minutes. Stir in intervals but with very light hands & not in very short intervals.
• I do not add the salt early into the dal & prefer to add it in the tadka & towards the end.
• Scum will start to form on the top, remove & discard.
• Once the dal is cooked well, you should be able to crush the dal between your fingers very easily & you should feel the starchy goodness squeezing out of the dal.
• You can continue to cook the dal until you prep the tadka or set it aside.
• You can also cook the dal in a pressure cooker for 4-5 whistles & you would require lesser water as per your pressure cooker requirements.
For the tadka:
• Add desi ghee into a vessel, now add in the ginger garlic paste. Cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Now add in the red chilli powder & cook om low flame for a minute. Remember to not burn the chilli. If you feel the heat is too high, just sprinkle some water to avoid the burning of the chilli powder.
• Now add in the fresh tomato puree, salt to taste & cook on medium to high flame until the tomatoes are cooked really well & the ghee is released.
• Now set the dal again on a flame & add the tadka to it.
• Mix well & now add the white butter, you can add unsalted butter as well, or use normal butter & adjust the salt accordingly.
• Now cook the dal on low flame for 30-45 minutes, longer the better. Keep stirring in intervals.
• Use a whisk or a wooden mathani to mash the dal to a consistency you like. The more you mash, the creamier would be the texture.
• After about 45 minutes, add toasted kasuri methi powder, a pinch of garam masala which is optional but do add because we did not use any whole spices. Mix well.
• Now lower the flame to the minimum & finish with white butter and the fresh cream.
• Mix gently & cook for 4-5 minutes.
• The dal is ready to be served.
• Remember, this dal tends to thicken very quickly so whenever you feel that the dal is very thick, add HOT water, remember the water should be hot, even when you cook this dal in advance the dal will be really thick if it gets cold, reheat, adjust the consistency with hot water, bring to a boil before you serve.
The Music I use in All my videos – https://bit.ly/3g4OjmW
(Best for independent creators)
Follow us on all platforms:
Facebook – https://goo.gl/rxrqsq
Instagram – https://goo.gl/rK6wFS
Twitter – https://goo.gl/lDfrrQ
Follow my personal handles here: (Chef Sanjyot Keer)
Facebook – https://goo.gl/8zcF6N
Instagram – https://goo.gl/ayTNL